The Harvard Square Homeless Shelter relies on the generosity of individual donors, alumni, and other friends of HSHS who understand the value of our programming and services.
To donate to the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter, navigate to the donation page of our parent organization the Phillips Brooks House Association and select “Harvard Square Homeless Shelter” as the designation for your donation.
The best time to drop off donations is between 7:00 PM and 10:30 PM any night of the week. We are located in the basement of University Lutheran Church in Harvard Square at 66 Winthrop Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. If you ring the doorbell, a staff member will come to the door to accept your donation. If you plan on dropping off a donation, please email [email protected] with your name and the date/time you will come by so that we know to expect you.
Note: Please do not leave items outside the door to the shelter. We can only take donations during our shelter season, which runs from November 1st to April 15th.
Items Needed at Harvard Square Homeless Shelter
(items marked * signify high priority items at this time)
- Hats, gloves and scarves*
- Men’s and women’s socks (unused/unopened)
- Men’s and women’s underwear (unused/unopened)
- Other clothing, outerwear, shoes, are all accepted if gently used
- Bars of soap
- Body lotion
- Facial moisturizer
- With aloe (for burns/scrape)
- Men’s and women’s shaving razors
- Unopened toothbrushes
- Unopened toothpaste
- During the shelter season, fresh fruit and vegetables are greatly appreciated!*
- Non-perishable food donations are accepted